Doing a Linux MASS install.

Ralph Ellis ralphellis1-VsqqI1RANlEsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 22 00:03:30 UTC 2006

Once it is decided what distribution that is going to be used, I am
happy to  produce install CDs or DVDs. Do the computers have DVD roms or
CD roms? If they have DVD roms, you can do a more complete software
install but this takes more time and I understand that time may be at a
premium.
My fastest installs have been with PCBSD at about 30 minutes. Also it
needs minimal intervention and runs fast on old hardware. It does not
automatically install an office suite but this can be added in five
minutes on a second CD or I could talk to the PCBSD people about giving
us a DVD where more programs auto install.
Vector Linux SOHO is another good candidate for a quick install that
runs well on old hardware.
Unbuntu or Kubuntu are probably the easliest to use for newbies.
Fedora Core 5 is available on DVD but I have not used it to assess it.
Suse is my personal favorite for a complete install but it may have
problems on the older hardware.
Ralph Ellis