HOWTO Install Kanotix on a USB External Drive

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 21 22:50:54 UTC 2006

Daniel Armstrong wrote:
> I just reposted a much-revised tutorial on installing and configuring
> Kanotix on a USB external drive - it was a real fun project to setup!
> Hope it proves helpful. I put in a link to GTALUG:
>
> http://biohackery.com/node/4#howto
>
> Sorry, Jamon, I lost your posted comment attached to the previous
> HOWTO when I moved to the new website and setup Drupal. Did you do the
> USB install as planned? How did it turn out?

No worries, I lost a few comments when I upgraded my site from Wordpress
to Drupal 4.7 a few months ago.

I did indeed do a usb install and liked it so much, that is, speed,
ease, space, and geek factor (of course), that I've set aside my 40gb
2.5" drive for a variety of distros. ATM I've got 10 3.5GB partitions, with:

Ubuntu/Kubuntu (both)
SuSE 10.1
Fedora Core 5
CentOS 4.3
Mandriva 2006
Debian Testing
Gentoo
Backtrack
Freespire beta 2
/home directory
swap remainder

For some I installed to my internal 40gb drive first and then copied
over onto the usb partition (for those installers that had a hard time
with usb). Others just worked with USB with no problems. I also blocked
any bootloaders from installing except for grub with Ubuntu (from a few
months ago). Lots of fun. Really :)