[HW] A Cheap PCI Dialup Modem?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 21 13:49:19 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 07:19:34AM -0400, Meng Cheah wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a cheap PCI dialup modem that will work with
> Windows 2000, XP and Linux?
> And also where to get it.
>
> I was at Factory Direct and saw a $15 56K PCI modem (LU5600, what that
> means) which claimed Windows 2000, XP and Linux compatibility. Does
> anyone have any experience with it?

At that price, I would expect it to be a winmodem.  Remember there are
some winmodems that do have drivers for linux for some kernel versions.
They often don't work very well though, but some makers think it is
enough to claim linux support.  Now if it says DOS support, then it is a
hardware modem in almost all cases.

> My friend's daughter has an AOpen ITU/2 which works with Knoppix.
> She is also using Windows 2000 with which she has problems getting the
> modem to work.
> She wants to upgrade to Windows XP for which AOpen has no drivers for
> the ITU/2 (I've checked the website).
> Dialup is the only option available. Bell confirms that the only
> available highspeed is via satellite.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Well hardware modems aren't really in much demand anymore, so there are
very few left, and they are generally not that cheap either.  Any
hardware modem will work with windows and will NOT require any special
drivers to be installed.  It is after all just a hardware modem and it
should just work, just as it does in linux.

USR 5610(B) has always been a popular known to work model.

--
Len Sorensen