A Cheap PCI Dialup Modem?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 21 13:20:42 UTC 2006

On 7/21/06, Meng Cheah <meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> James Knott wrote:
>
> >Meng Cheah wrote:
> >

> >>Can anyone recommend a cheap PCI dialup modem that will work with
> >>Windows 2000, XP and Linux?
> >>And also where to get it.
> >
> >Any modem that doesn't require drivers will be fine.  Also, does it have
> >to be internal?  External modems tend not to require drivers.

> External modems tend to be more expensive than the internal ones.

Yeah, the need for a case is not costless...

I see three choices at Canada Computers (who commonly are a good
choice for cheap hardware), one being a "cable modem," and therefore
NOT a modem, as well as two that are internal PCI cards.
TigerDirect.ca has more choices, but nicely shows off the price
difference; most internal modems cost ~$15, whereas the externals cost
~$110...

I've never bought an  internal, though; it was never worth the loss of
reliability and compatibility that results from that...
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.