A Cheap PCI Dialup Modem?

Meng Cheah meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 21 11:19:34 UTC 2006

Can anyone recommend a cheap PCI dialup modem that will work with
Windows 2000, XP and Linux?
And also where to get it.

I was at Factory Direct and saw a $15 56K PCI modem (LU5600, what that
means) which claimed Windows 2000, XP and Linux compatibility. Does
anyone have any experience with it?

My friend's daughter has an AOpen ITU/2 which works with Knoppix.
She is also using Windows 2000 with which she has problems getting the
modem to work.
She wants to upgrade to Windows XP for which AOpen has no drivers for
the ITU/2 (I've checked the website).
Dialup is the only option available. Bell confirms that the only
available highspeed is via satellite.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Meng Cheah