Jobs...

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 20 15:53:20 UTC 2006

Vlad wrote:

>> I think Linux skills are more in demand than they have ever been before.
>> IMHO there has been a shift from big iron *nix skills towards Linux.
>

> Quite true again. For the most part, I'm pretty "Enh." about that.
>
> First, because it opens up the market to a lot more people that know
> Linux or BSD, but not UNIX.

That's a much finer line than I think most people would draw, especially
making a distinction between "BSD" and "Unix".

Now really -- if someone is skilled at BSD, is AIX or Solaris really
that big a leap from the sysadmin POV? The tools are a little different
but the underlying principles, and the troubleshooting skills necessary
to excel at being a sysadmin on any of these platforms, are simply not
that different.

Also consider that many of the components of modern Unix are lifted from
the BSD and open source world. Take the BSD out of Unix and you lose
even 'vi'.

The main sysadmin differences would be in kernel-specific issues such as
hardware support, yet now -- especially give the maturity of commercial
Unix -- the troubleshooting of hardware rarely traces down to a driver
problem.

> This has a tendency to lower the pay brackets, as there's so many C.S.
> students with Linux knowledge  and a degree, that are willing to work
> themselves to death for 40k a  year.

And _here_ we find the crux of the problem, not from the difference
between Unix and Linux but rather simple supply-side economics. The
growth of Linux and BSD have made the Unix world far less elitist than
it used to be (or wants to be), and the old guard -- who may arguably
been overpaid because of the scarcity of good Unix admins -- are feeling
the change.

The fact is that in society there are a lot of people in every field who
are willing to work themselves to death for 40K. Arguably the Unix world
has been shielded from such realities because of its inaccessibility
from most of the IT world. Until the commercial viability of Linux of
just the last few years, IT users were torn with a choice of crap (and
relatively cheap) systems software on commodity hardware, or good
expensive systems software on overpriced RISCs and mainframe boxes -- or
SCO.

Was Windows NT ever as good as the worst Unix of its day? Nowhere near.
But it was Good Enough for many in IT, and Microsoft was able to take
full advantage of the feuding between Unix vendors that prevented any
kind of alternative standard. They were extremely successful at
advancing Wintel versus Unix/RISC. It wasn't as good but it was Good Enough.

Now folks have the relatively new option of inexpensive good-quality
software on commodity hardware, leading to the growth of Linux despite
the opposition of every proprietary software vendor and VAR out there
(which is most of them). This accomplishment cannot be overstated.

But along with this success has come along with the staggering loss of
elitism of the Unix world. The best example of this has been the
complete inability of Usenix and SAGE to appeal to Linux admins, despite
the best efforts of Jon Maddog Hall who is on the Usenix board. Arguably
Usenix should be experiencing its best growth ever, but its scorn for
the "Linux hordes" has excluded it from relevance.

> Second, there are a fair amount of apps that I'd much rather  run on
> UNIX, than on Linux.

The number of apps that run on Unix-but-not-Linux is shrinking daily.
Given that Linux is already more popular than Unix in IT environments,
vendors who haven't ported their Unix apps to Linux are just dumb and/or
have other agendas (such as propping up certain Unix flavours).

> Just because something is cheap, or free, and it mostly  "works",
> doesn't mean that it should be used.

I'm sorry, but that statement just reeks of elitism and has no relevance
in today's world, and I'm not just talking IT. In every field there are
elite products that purists love and the rich/enthusiasts can afford.
Sometimes, but rarely, the elite product is the most cost-effective
solution to a need. The rest of us generally choose products that by
comparison are "cheap and mostly work", that dramatically outsells the
elite stuff. Anyone who buys PC-brand food, takes generic drugs, flies
US-based airlines, watches analog, broadcast TV, drinks tap water or
drives a Suzuki knows that. Why should IT be any different?

- Evan