Jobs...

Vlad shiwan-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 19 22:46:03 UTC 2006

        Depends on the field, I suppose.

        I know of several places that would instantly hire people with
good networking skills (Cisco routing and switching), firewalling (PIX
and *nix-based solutions), as well as *nix skills. Pretty good
compensation, too, but shift-based. Getting into office-hours
positions doing the same thing basically requires that you do the
shift-based thing for a while* first.
        The value of "while" is anywhere from months to years.

        As for DBA or programming positions, those are much more the
Senior level, with ridiculous amounts of experience. Whereas the
networking ones I've described, you can get away with sheer skill and
knowledge, as opposed to years of experience - though that helps, too.

        I'd say that there's more NOC-type positions than professional
ones. Then again, a fair amount of professional ones are filled
internally only. Of course, if you're at the JNCIE level, you've
already got a six-figure job, and this is an academic exercise. ;)

        -- Vlad

On 7/19/06, Marc Lijour <marc-bbkyySd1vPWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi Colin,
>
> for survey purposes, out of curiosity, what is hot out there?
>
> For example, I met with a CISCO trainer from the Ottawa region and he is
> saying that networking is a passport to a job there. What about the GTA?
> Is there enough employment offers in programming to cope with job researchers,
> and what is the expected level/knowledge?
>
> Thanks
>
> marc

end