Is Javascript bad? Is W3 validation important, or just cross-browser compatibility is? (was: Supermarket repackaging trick again)

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 18 22:52:38 UTC 2006

On 7/18/06, Jason Spiro <jasonspiro4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Is W3 validation important? Doesn't it only matter that a page looks
> good in a variety of browsers?

IMO, this depends on what the HTML document's goals are but generally
speaking, the more browsers supported the better.

Mandatory http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/ reference.  ;-)

> Also, is there really a problem with creating web pages that require
> Javascript for a good reason, like GNU's GPLv3 comment interface did?

If there's good reason for JS (like Atomic OS) then so be it.  By
their very nature, standards will always lag behind innovation and new
developments.  Web software should, I think, try to degrade as
gracefully as possible in unsupported browsers though.

--
Scott Elcomb
http://atomos.sourceforge.net/

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle,
stand like a rock."

  - Thomas Jefferson