need some licencing advice

bob ican-rZHaEmXdJNJWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 17 18:01:03 UTC 2006

<snip>

> To get the result you want, IMO, any library implementing your API
> should be LGPL'd as you've already done with your SIMPL stuff.

I considered this but most of the code would not be in the form of a library
but rather a series of cooperating, highly extendable executable modules each
which link to the LGPL'd SIMPL library.   As such I couldn't see the language
of the LGPL applying.    I suppose I could rework the framework aspects of
the code so that it could be cast as a library ... but that seems a little
like the "tail wagging the dog".

I can see two distinct types of derivative development happening with the
code:

	a) modifications and extensions to existing modules/framework
	b) new modules which implement the open messaging API  to (ie.  using SIMPL
to talk to) another existing module

I'd like to copyleft a) but leave flexibility in b).

My reasoning is that this code initially will likely find applicability in a
narrow niche of building access control software.   Within this niche users
will need some closed software which implements the secure aspects of the
access control function.   eg. encription algorithms,   card code decoding
algorithms,  proprietary hardware interfacing algorithms   etc.

What do you know about the various MPL derivatives?   Sugar CRM seems to have
gone this route.

bob