need some licencing advice

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 17 16:02:02 UTC 2006

bob wrote:

>I'm guessing that the straight GPL might work in the same manner as it works
>for Linux.    Changes to the OS are considered derivative.    Apps written to
>the Linux API are not.

That only happens because the libraries are LGPL'd. If the libraries
were GPL then (according to the FSF's interpretation) anything linking
to it is a derivative work. That's why the LGPL was invented in the
first place, to prevent that limitation.

To get the result you want, IMO, any library implementing your API
should be LGPL'd as you've already done with your SIMPL stuff.

One alternative for you is to go to Creative Commons website; they have
a tool that suggests a license (from a pool of many) based on how you
answer specific questions.

- Evan