need some licencing advice

bob ican-rZHaEmXdJNJWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 17 12:45:31 UTC 2006

I'm preparing to release some code which utilizes my LGPL'd SIMPL library.

This code is intended to expose a framework consisting of a messaging API and
several highly customizable SIMPL executables.

In addition to a name (my problem) I need to chose a licence for this
framework which require that derivative works be licenced under the same
terms but can attract commericial entities who may connect their modules to
the API.

This is very similar to what the SugarCRM project does.   They use a modified
MPL for their project.

I'm guessing that the straight GPL might work in the same manner as it works
for Linux.    Changes to the OS are considered derivative.    Apps written to
the Linux API are not.

I am not a lawyer nor am I able to understand much of the legalese in these
licences.

Any suggestions?

bob