Logging into a computer behind a router?

Gregory D Hough mr6re9-mI4xJ4qlgtBiLUuM0BA3LQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 15 13:20:42 UTC 2006

Alex Maynard wrote:

> Thanks very much to several of you who suggested forwarding port 22.
> I've done this and can now get to my computer's logon/passord from
> outside, but strangely it rejects my logon attempts.
>
> I use the "AllowUsers" in sshd_config to restrict outside access.
> In the past when I had trouble logging in from outside computers it was
> because the IP/DNS was not listed under AllowUsers. But this
> outside computer is a reliable server who's DNS has been on my AllowUsers
> list for a long time and never caused a problem before.  This has me a
> bit confused.  Could it be that the DNS/IP of the computer of origin is
> somehow getting losted or changed as it passes through my router?

If you're getting a login prompt at a remote location, then it is most
likely NOT a networking issue. You're being rejected for some other
reason by the application itself. What about the users .ssh/known_hosts
file? Does it already have a key for the remote host? Has it changed?

Try providing some more info. Check the logs and root's mail for any
errors and if possible tcpdump -npvvvxX both sides of the session. See
if the key exchange was successful and that the versions aren't too far
out of whack.

greg