Atomic OS, Multics, and Biometric Internet Access (Was: Why aren't hardware and OSes more standardized?)

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 14 22:39:19 UTC 2006

On 7/13/06, Jason Spiro <jasonspiro4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Also, why can't one buy a computer, plug it into the, um, Internet
> jack in the wall, and click the Email button and your email will work
> right away? With just a fingerprint, and no username or password, if
> you so choose when you call Bell or Rogers to order Internet service.

Multics was a great idea, but the concept of using biometrics for
internet access makes my skin crawl.  Probably get some decent
Customer Services horror stories out of that idea though.  ;-)

Speaking of Multics[1], the WAJAX Prototype I've been working on is
going through a complete rewrite.  As of this week, the source code
and (simple) build system are available from SourceForge under the
name "Atomic OS"

It doesn't have many of the "features" I tried playing with in WAJAX
yet (eg. GUI, Database Access, CSV parser) but the development is no
longer done on a single monolithic file.  There are now about 30
source files, which are processed by the build system to create the
monolithic file.

Source files and the build system for AtomicOS are available now from
CVS and as a tarball.  (No set release schedule for the time being.)

http://atomos.sourceforge.net/

[1] Atomic OS always reminds me of Multics, though I've never been
able to figure out just why.  I haven't been able to pin down just
what Atomic OS is.  The closest I can get is maybe a web-based OS
abstraction?  (This might be a good place to introduce the projects
discuss list. ;-)

--
Scott Elcomb
http://w3.avidus.ca/

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle,
stand like a rock."

  - Thomas Jefferson