CDRW: cdrecord: No disk / Wrong disk!

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 14 22:28:45 UTC 2006

On Friday 14 July 2006 12:02, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 04:20:32PM -0400, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:

> Has this brand/model of media ever worked on this particular drive?

I dont know. Rather not. The computer I use is assambled from parts I got from
nice people on this list, before last Christmas.

> Some media simply doesn't work with some drives.  Often a firmware
> update can fix that, but not always.

I never thought there is such  a thing as firmware update for CD drive ;) OK,
I did the homework. There is just one, it seems, firmware update available
for this particular drive but it is related to its reading capabilities of
DVD.

> I have had some 8x media that I
> simply can't get the drive to accept as more than 4x media (dvd-r media
> that is).  I have had cases where updating the firmware made the drive
> suddenly like some media it didn't like before.

> Also remember that CD-RW comes in 3 types, and some drives can't do some
> types.  There is CD-RW (1x to 4x), CD-RW high speed (4x to 10x) and
> CD-RW ultra (10x and up). CD-R should just work, unless the firmware
> really doesn't like a certain type of CD-R dye.

Thats an educative information in my case. But I did try several CDs, from
various manufactures, and got also a pair of two for free from the store I
bought the drive.

I guess I will end up buying another CD recorder ;)

What is the role of DMA during the recording? One of tools I used on Linux
throws out a message that there is no DMA at all. Is that important? That
particular CD drive works as a secondary master.

zb.