Looking for a *QUIET* computer

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 14 22:10:04 UTC 2006

On 7/14/06, Byron Sonne <blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >   The computer I'm looking for will have to be *QUIET*
>
> Sorry to be late to the game here...
>
> I got sick of noise at my desk at home and wanted  to free up some more
> desk space too... I wound up picking up a Shuttle SN25P system and I've
> been thrilled with it... it's quite quiet (except during boot up) and
> scores well on both counts, IMO.
>
> I'm not a huge fan of Dell, but we have a ton of them at work, and they
> are by far the quietest big-vendor boxes I've ever come across. It's
> like they're not even there.

You've obviously never had a PowerEdge 6650 under your desk...

Between the 12 fans and 18 disk drives, when I had Hathi under my
desk, this irritated anyone within 30 feet :-).

Of course, that was nothing compared to the "jet engine sound" of the
first generation Celestica quad-Opteron boxes...  ;-)
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.