Why is there no OS X Automator clone for Linux? (was: Serious OO/Debian problem...)

Jason Spiro jasonspiro4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 14 18:07:20 UTC 2006

On 7/14/06, Mike Kallies <mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I've never worked with it, but I have to wonder how a common set of
> application controls can be created on the Linux desktop... I mean,
> even if KDE has a scripting tool, can it interact with OO?  Could it
> ever?

Well, I assume DCOP is for KDE apps, not for other apps. It's a sad
side effect of having both KDE and Gnome around: presumably if you
want DCOP scriptability between, say, a web browser and a spreadsheet,
you must download both a KDE web browser and a KDE spreadsheet.

Why can't Unix pipes (or temp files) and standard formats like CSV and
MPEG2 somehow be used for this sort of data interchange between two
apps, instead of requiring DCOP, AppleScript, and/or Windows
clipboard-like data interchange systems?

--
Jason Spiro: computer consulting with a smile.
I also do computer training and spyware removal for homes and businesses.