Why aren't hardware and OSes more standardized? (Was: C64 drive)

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 14 02:12:43 UTC 2006

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Jason Spiro wrote:

> Why, after all this time, can't one buy one of ten types of Standard
> PC, with your choice of one of 10 Standard OSes, and since the

I for one hopes such a thing never comes to pass.  People have different
needs.  If we only have 10 types of PCs, what happens if you need
something different?  I guess you just miss out.

With open standards we can have better working systems without having to
sacrifice choice.

> Also, why can't one buy a computer, plug it into the, um, Internet
> jack in the wall, and click the Email button and your email will work
> right away? With just a fingerprint, and no username or password, if

The main limitation preventing such a setup is security.

- ISPs need to make sure only their paying customers are using their
services.

- It used to be possible to relay email via any main transport agent in
the world.  There was a gentleman's agreement that you would not use
someone elses MTA without permission except in a genuine emergency.  All
that changed when spammers arrived on the scene.

Both of these situations come down to the need to restrict access to those
with permission to use a particular service.  So blame those who cannot
manage to play by generally accepted rules.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073

If you are emailing regarding an open ticket please consider
mentioning the ticket ID as this will assist us in responding
as quickly as possible.