Serious OO/Debian problem...

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 13 23:21:44 UTC 2006

On 7/13/06, Jason Spiro <jasonspiro4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 7/13/06, John Myshrall <jmyshrall-6duGhz7i8susTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > In a pinch why not use Gnumeric ?
>
> Yes. Gnumeric is a perfectly good spreadsheet, just as AbiWord is a
> perfectly good word processor. I prefer AbiWord over OO as it starts
> much faster.

I have found Gnumeric to be IMMENSELY preferable to the OO spreadsheet
"module" because of its data importing capabilities.  It has a very
nice interactive interface for loading in data from (typically)
semi-structured text files .

> There hasn't been much innovation in the word processing field
> recently, so in almost all cases, any word processor is fine.

The same is true for most of these sorts of applications.

The *real* innovations that *could* come in are the ones that they
used to have back in the days when Amiga apps were programmable using
AREXX.  I had thought that GNOME and KDE were *supposed* to be about
this; about giving you the capability to write scripts that would
interface with and control the applications.  I'm not sure the KDE
folk ever quite had that in mind, and GNOME lost that when they ceased
to conclude that they absolutely needed scripting at the root and that
Guile wasn't paramount...
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.