Serious OO/Debian problem...

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 13 15:12:14 UTC 2006

Madison Kelly wrote:
> For about two weeks now I have had this problem with OpenOffice2.0.[2|3]
> where as soon as I enter any data into a cell and try to save OO
> crashes. I have tried doing complete purges of OO (including deleting my
> ~/.openoffice directory), searching and deleting every file of the
> system I could find related to it, changing versions (2.0.2 to 2.0.3),
> installing from the Debian testing repository...
>
> Last night my efforts even messed up my OS and I had to do a complete
> re-install but still I can't get the damn program to save. This is
> causing more than a little stress and Googling doesn't seem to point to
> anything. Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Files which I created three weeks ago in OO also die when I try to save
> edits. I installed from by converting the OpenOffice RPMS to DEB
> packages using 'alien' from the stable repos. I would happily try
> compiling from source if I could figure out how...

Oh, what about your java version? Try downloading the 1.5 java runtime
environment (jre) from:
http://java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp

Install it as per their instructions, then run the following:
"update-alternatives --config java" and then choose the 3rd option which
should be your newly installed JRE. I've had lots of trouble with the
1.4 that installd by default on Debian and Ubuntu. I think that this
should do the trick...

Jamon (again)