/dev/shm versus ramdisk

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 12 23:27:23 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 07:04:18PM +0000, Christopher Browne wrote
> On 7/12/06, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 07:31:47AM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> >> Swap too.  ;-)
> >
> >Right, store swap in ram.  Is that the same as "buy more ram"?
>
> No, no, what you want to do is to define a ramdisk, and declare your
> swap space to go in this area...  There's a whole HOWTO on how to use
> ramdisks...  http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/Ramdisk/ramdisk.html

  [...Thread renamed to reflect actual topic...]

  Why would I want to create a ramdisk when /dev/shm is available?
/dev/shm is dynamic.  I.e, when there are no files on it, the memory is
available to regular programs.  Ramdisks grab a chunk of memory, and
never let it go.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca