Looking for a *QUIET* computer

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 12 20:28:44 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 16:13 -0400, phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> This puts me in mind of the Commodore 64 floppy disk drive. To save money,
> Commodore had the same processor reading the drive mech as talking to the
> IEEE bus. As someone said:
>
> 'Loads programs faster than you can type them in!!! (But only just..)'

I actually had the disassembled and commented version of the firmware
for that drive. There were large areas of code that were commented as
unused.

The book went on to say that the OS for the drive was a hack from
another dual-drive (iirc) system.

In fact one could download different firmware to the drive to make it
run as fast as a PCs could back them. One program that did this was Fast
Hakem. Remember that?

--
John Van Ostrand
         Net Direct Inc.