Printing Error

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 12 16:59:00 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 11:20:46AM -0400, Stephen W. Clarke wrote:
> I posted this to the richo list at linuxprinting.org last month but they
> haven't been able to help me yet so I thought I'd see if any of you had
> any ideas.
>
> I've upgraded some workstations to Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper and now am unable to
> print to the shared printer (Richo Aficio 250) we have in the main office.
> I could get Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy to print using the generic PCL4 setup and
> the laserjet driver, but now nothing.
>
> After the upgrade every driver I use produces the same error.
>
> I get one page that has the following text on it:
> %!PS-Adobe-3.0 %%Title: PPR Test Page %%DocumentNeededResources: font
> Helvetica %%F
>
> This page is then followed by 50 blank pages.
>
> I have attempted to add extra fonts to see if this is a font related issue
> as could be indicated by the error, but no joy so far.
>
> Any thoughts?

Your setup is sending raw postscript to the printer.  Your printer
apparently wants PCL4.  You have to make sure it is configured as that
kind of printer, since by default printers are assumed to be postscript
in unix.

With cupsys it is rather easy, you just go to http://localhost:631/admin
and configure the printer there with the right connection type and pick
the printer model as a PCL4 or whatever it supports, printer, and cupsys
takes care of the rest.

--
Len Sorensen