help with egrep ^L

G. Matthew Rice matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 12 15:34:09 UTC 2006

Neil Watson <tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org> writes:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 11:21:07AM -0400, Alex Beamish wrote:
> >   The classic ^L (control L, hex 12) is a form feed. When I cat a file with
> >   a form feed, I get a blank line. That's to say,
>
> Yes, it seems to be a form feed.  How can I match for one of those?

If you are on the command line typing the grep or in vi writing the script,
hold down the ctrl key while you hit 'v' and then 'l'.

Works for other control characters like ^M (blech!!!), ^T (hard tab), ...

HTH,
--
g. matthew rice <matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>           starnix, toronto, ontario, ca
phone: 647.722.5301 x242                                  gpg id: EF9AAD20