help with egrep ^L

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 12 15:21:07 UTC 2006

The classic ^L (control L, hex 12) is a form feed. When I cat a file with a
form feed, I get a blank line. That's to say,

  This is a test of a form feed.
  ^LThat was it.

in vim produces

  This is a test of a form feed.

  That was it.

when I cat the file. (Use ^V to insert a control character in vim.)

If you want to match for a literal ^L (caret, capital L), then I would
escape the caret with \.

On 7/12/06, Neil Watson <tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I have an undocumented script that performs egrep ^L</code>. From
> what I can tell this is not a literal ^L. The ^L is only visible in VIM
> not if I cat the file. It must be some sort of control character. What
> does it mean and how can I represent it in a less cryptic fashion?
>
> --
> Neil Watson             | Gentoo Linux
> System Administrator    | Uptime 2 days
> http://watson-wilson.ca | 2.6.16.19 AMD Athlon(tm) MP 2000+ x 2