Solved: Problem Accessing SMB Server from Windows XP

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 6 18:25:28 UTC 2006

Merv Curley wrote:
> Wait til you find out how out of date a lot of the stuff is.  eg. you need
> Debian repositories if you have any new hardware and all reccomendations say
> not to use Debian. For me, the Kubuntu version makes more sense.  Do you get
> the idea I am not impressed?

Kubuntu is just one of the available GUI shells for Ubuntu. Not sure I
follow you.

Yes, Ubuntu was based on Debian, but there is a lot of well funded support.

My hardware is reasonably new, and I had no trouble with the install.

But I did find it curious that there were about 100 packages to update.
The disk image I downloaded is dated June 2006!

Bottom line, in less than three hours I got a usable and fairly
intuitive desktop, and configured servers for Apache with PHP, MySQL and
Samba. My virtual hosts are created, WIP copied to the home directories
via SMB, and MySQL listens to local network computers.

Cheers
Stephen