Hardware monitoring.

Vlad shiwan-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 5 17:18:28 UTC 2006

        Well. Are you using servers, or desktops as servers?

        If they're servers, then the PSP for HP gear, and OMS for Dell
gear is what you want; IBM gear has an equivalent as well. All for
Linux, of course. They all interface with net-snmp, for status/health
polling, and failure/error trapping.

        If they're generic servers (or Sun servers), you're mostly out
of luck. A failure will be detected when the box goes down. About the
only thing you can reliably check for is disk failure in a RAID set
(and some somewhat inadequate SMART stuff); anything else won't be
redundant enough to matter.
        A good hack job is needed, pretty much.

        -- Vlad

On 7/5/06, Kyle O'Donnell <kyleodonnell-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> We have been investigating ways to monitor the underlying hardware on
> our linux machines.  I've looked into using the following tools:
>
> net-snmp
> lm_sensors
> smartd
> hal
>
> Is anyone using anything else to detect failures and gather hardware stats?
>
> Thanks,

end