So Rogers has lost me as a customer...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 31 21:26:25 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 03:39:21PM -0500, Andrew Hammond wrote:
> 600KBps = 4800Kbps = 4.8Mbps
>
> Which is 96% of 5Mbps or 80% of 6Mbps. Assuming that you're talking
> about download speed as reported by your web browser or some other
> application, that's not very good delivery. If you really want to
> measure it, you'll need to start snooping around your traffic totals
> and such as reported by ifconfig (among others).

I go by the report from wget and apt-get.  They seem fairly accurate.
If I can have a 576KB/s average for a 30 minute download (my machine was
a little behind up updates once) then I think it is fairly accurate.
hitting a max of about 95% of the physical wire speed seems pretty good.
hitting 80% would be pathetic.  Hence why I still think it is 5Mbit.
Makes me roll my eyes at Bell's new adds claiming to be 5 times faster
than rogers.  They don't say up to 5 times faster, and they don't say
compared to which rogers service.  So obviously Bell must be offering a
25Mbit connection now.  Where do I sign up? :)

> So... maybe you want to buy a different service?

I don't have much choice at this time.  I had a nice DSL connection that
allowed servers, ran 3Mbit (on a good day) and a static IP.  Then I
moved, and can't get DSL at the new place.  After a year bell still
reports it as 'coming soon'.

Len Sorensen