OTVery low-level hardware question

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 31 13:09:45 UTC 2006

Scott Allen wrote:
> On Mon Jan 30,2006 09:27:23 AM interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org wrote:
>> Solder it!  These paints are not for mechanical strength
>> (neither is solder, but it will do a better job than the paint.)
>
> If solder wasn't expected to have mechanical strength then we would have
> to glue, or otherwise attach, components to circuit boards to hold them
> on in addition to using solder (the same goes for copper water pipes,
> for that matter).

Solder does have mechanical strength, but it's not as strong as other
metals.  When connecting wires, you're supposed to provide some other
method for mechanical strength.  when soldering pipes, sheet metal etc.,
you're soldering sufficient area, to provide strength.
Common solder is very soft and easily broken.  As an experiment try
pulling on a piece of solder and see how easily it breaks.  Now try the
same with copper or steel wire of similar gauge, to see how much harder
it is to break them.