Is this a problem the OSS community could handle?

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 31 02:06:08 UTC 2006

ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org> writes:

> Sounds interesting.  I am just wondering:
>
> the wand is probably the expensive piece,

Maybe, maybe not.

> i am wondering why the software, or
> atleast the basic data acquistion wouldnt be included? or really
> inexpensive?

I used to work in the Advanced Systems Technology Section at Ontario Hydro's
Research Division (the big ugly building on Kipling, about 0.5 km south of
Bloor). These guys did a lot of work with ultrasound (for examining welds and
such). The software was _the_ critical piece. Without the software to analyze
the ultrasound data, it was just noise. They invested many man years into the
software which was constantly being refined to improve accuracy, sensitivity,
etc.

I can certainly imagine a dumb, USB powered, ultrasound wand which is pretty
much useless without the software, explaining why the software is expensive.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada