How to turn d-link wireless router to a switch?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 30 20:19:38 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 10:49:49AM -0500, hui xu wrote:
> Anybody can tell me how to turn a dlink wireless
> router to a wireless switch?
>
> I just want to use the dlink to work as wireless
> switch in my local lan not as a router?
>
> Current the dlink wireless  works as router between my
> linux server and my client latop, I can not find a way
> to rlogin in to my linux server form my lan.

Well I did that just fine with my USR8054 before, by ignoring the then
useless WAN port and just using it as a 4 port switch and wireless AP.
The setup even has an option of 'AP only' mode, which disables the WAN
port and routing and dhcp server and all the other stuff you don't need
in that case.  It just manages the AP encryption and mac filtering (if
enabled) and such, and connects it to the switched ethernet ports.

I would be surprised if the linksys can't do the same.  If nothing else
you can just connect nothing to the WAN port, and disable dhcp server
and such on it and it should work the same.

Len Sorensen