rpmbuild vs Xconfig

Kihara Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 30 03:56:31 UTC 2006

Hi all,
  I just realised one can use rpmbuild to compile a kernel. I looked
around for a configuration file, and I wouldn't say I got really far.
Its a macro based, not the good old text files. Somehow, I still think
its worth investing sometime playing with it since it does have an
upper hand in that it does update rpmdb, something Xconfig script
don't do.
  I am writing to seek some advice on some preliminary questions. How
does rpmbuild works? Does it look around to customize the compile to
the target environment or does it produce generic binaries that I
could download from fedora website? I read man page, but I still can't
figure out how to choose configuration options to compile a source
file of kernel that I have downloaded on /usr/src as I would do with
xconfig. Is it possible or am I looking at the wrong place? I would
appreciate any help if you happen to be familiar with this tool

Thanks in advance
William