Quota on NFS

Ivan Avery Frey ivan.frey-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 29 17:53:50 UTC 2006

Paul Mora wrote:
> On 1/24/06, *Kihara Muriithi* <william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
> <mailto:william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>     Just wondering, when a NFS client try to access a shared NFS file
>     system, the server see it either as a user "nobody" or "root"
>     depending on the configuration - options inserted on fstab. Now, to
>     enforce quotas, you need a better user name, nobody and root isn't
>     going to cut it as its too general. How does the rquota get this
>     information?
>

> Not true.  NFS works entirely on UID/GID from client to server.  The
> only account that gets mapped to user "nobody" on the server is root on
> the client.  Every other UID/GID on the client gets mapped to the same
> UID/GID on the server .
>
> This is also why users and UIDs (and groups and GIDs) need to be
> synchronized for NFS to work.  If they are out of sync; then you get all
> sorts of permission problems.

This is the default behaviour but one can use configuration files to map
one uid to another. I went through this when I connected my Mac OS X to
my Linux box. Needless to say my UID on Mac OS X wasn't the same as my
uid on Debian. But whole point became moot when I realized that Linux
has a very nice Apple Filing Protocol Daemon (afpd) thank you very much.

When NFS is used, it usually paired with NIS/yp (Network Information
Service/Yellow Pages, Yellow Pages can't really be used because it's a
trademark.)

Ivan.