hald/gnome issues

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 29 13:32:02 UTC 2006

I _had_ a system which used to autodetect removable media, and after a
recent upgrade*, it doesn't. Before I go back and rebuild absolutely
everything that could have been affected (hald, dbus,
gnome-volume-manager, hotplug, udev, kernel headers and possibly even
glibc), has someone snuck in a new required part of this process, or
quietly 'deprecated' someyhing I was relying on?

I'd seen the package 'ivman' bandied about on the Gentoo forums, but
that looks like it'd get in the way. I'm assuming I'll have to redo
everything on <http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_gnome-volume-manager>; is
that reasonable?

cheers,
  Stewart

*: upgrade in name only. It's a positive downgrade in terms of usability.