Trying to get a wireless card working...

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 26 12:14:59 UTC 2006

On Thursday 26 January 2006 01:00, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> I have a PCI Netgear WG311v3 in one of my boxes, and I *should* be able
> to get it working with ndiswrapper, but something's not working.  I
> installed the driver with ndsiwrapper, and it said that it installed the
> driver and that the hardware is present.  Goody ;-)  However...
>
> When I run iwconfig, I see three interfaces - lo, eth0 and sit0.  The
> loopback isn't helping, eth0 is a Realtek ethernet card, and I'm not
> doing any IPv6, so sit0 is doing me no good at all.
>
> As far as I can see, dmesg makes no mention of the card, which worries
> me, but I am not the most clueful, so I have appended the contents of
> dmesg to the end of this message.  lspci -vv has this to say about the
> device, so I'm pretty sure it's there:
>
> --snip--
>
> 0000:01:0d.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.: Unknown
> device 1faa (rev 03) Subsystem: Netgear: Unknown device 6b00
> 	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr-
> DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- Latency: 64, Cache
> Line Size: 0x08 (32 bytes)
> 	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 3
> 	Region 0: Memory at fd9f0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
> 	Region 1: Memory at fd9e0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
> 	Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
> 		Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
> PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-) Status: D0 PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-
>
> --snip--
>
> What do I need to try to get this interface to show up as a networking
> interface?  Any pointers are appreciated, thanks.

I have found lately that by simply updating the pci.ids file ( PCI
Identifications ) it will often fix wireless card and other hardware woes,
due to hardware newer than the kernel you are running. This will often get
rid of "unknown" in the output from lspci.

http://pciids.sourceforge.net/

Save your old file first
cp /var/lib/misc/pci.ids /var/lib/misc/pci.ids.OLD

then move the new file into place & reboot
cp /<path to download>/pci.ids /var/lib/misc/pci.ids

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca