whois

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 25 22:17:57 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 10:50:34PM -0800, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> What version of the package do you have?

4.7.5 as it comes in Debian 3.1.

> Mine stops at the same point as when run with -h.  IOW, I get the
> snippet of output that tell me to run "whois -h whois.nic.or.kr"
> and when I do that manually, I indeed get the specific info for
> the smaller IP block, but the client doesn't do it automatically.
>
> I did. :-( I know better than go ask here without any research, believe
> me.  It seems to handle exactly 2 types of referrals, and this one
> (embedded within "remarks:" lines) is not one of them.

Hmm.  I get this:

rceng02:/debian/dists/sandbox/webmin# whois 61.100.186.185
% [whois.apnic.net node-1]
% Whois data copyright terms    http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

inetnum:      61.96.0.0 - 61.111.255.255
netname:      KRNIC-KR
descr:        KRNIC
descr:        Korea Network Information Center
country:      KR
admin-c:      HM127-AP
tech-c:       HM127-AP
remarks:      ******************************************
remarks:      KRNIC is the National Internet Registry
remarks:      in Korea under APNIC. If you would like to
remarks:      find assignment information in detail
remarks:      please refer to the KRNIC Whois DB
remarks:      http://whois.nic.or.kr/english/index.html
remarks:      ******************************************
mnt-by:       APNIC-HM
mnt-lower:    MNT-KRNIC-AP
changed:      hostmaster-kQgggeSMbpBeoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org 20010321
changed:      hostmaster-kQgggeSMbpBeoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org 20010606
status:       ALLOCATED PORTABLE
source:       APNIC

person:       Host Master
address:      11F, KTF B/D, 1321-11, Seocho2-Dong, Seocho-Gu,
address:      Seoul, Korea, 137-857
country:      KR
phone:        +82-2-2186-4500
fax-no:       +82-2-2186-4496
e-mail:       hostmaster-RJnSGxyxNIZQFI55V6+gNQ at public.gmane.org
nic-hdl:      HM127-AP
mnt-by:       MNT-KRNIC-AP
changed:      hostmaster-RJnSGxyxNIZQFI55V6+gNQ at public.gmane.org 20020507
source:       APNIC

inetnum:      61.100.186.0 - 61.100.186.255
netname:      GNG-IDC-KONETI-KR
descr:        HOSTWAY
descr:        Bundang-gu, Seongnam-si, Gyeonggi
descr:        343-1
descr:        463-070
country:      KR
admin-c:      HP22-KR
tech-c:       HP22-KR
remarks:      This IP address space has been allocated to KRNIC.
remarks:      For more information, using KRNIC Whois Database
remarks:      whois -h whois.nic.or.kr
mnt-by:       MNT-KRNIC-AP
remarks:      This information has been partially mirrored by APNIC from
remarks:      KRNIC. To obtain more specific information, please use the
remarks:      KRNIC whois server at whois.krnic.net.
changed:      hostmaster-RJnSGxyxNIZQFI55V6+gNQ at public.gmane.org
source:       KRNIC

person:       Heungbae Park
descr:        HOSTWAY
descr:        Bundang-gu, Seongnam-si, Gyeonggi
descr:        343-1
descr:        463-070
country:      KR
phone:        +82-2-2105-6121
fax-no:       +82-2-575-8320
e-mail:       abuse-hrtb9jm4Du8+MW+wcPHoAA at public.gmane.org
nic-hdl:      HP22-KR
mnt-by:       MNT-KRNIC-AP
changed:      hostmaster-RJnSGxyxNIZQFI55V6+gNQ at public.gmane.org
source:       KRNIC

Hmm, maybe that isn't fully resolved now that I look at it more carefully.
I wonder if the source: KRNIC line would be a valid place to look for
where to continue.

Len Sorensen