Linksys BEFW11S4 Router

interlug-list interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 25 16:09:33 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 10:51, Peter King wrote:
> I recently got hold of an older LinkSys BEFW11S4 router.  [ ... ]
> Before I consign it to the trash, I thought I'd ask: Since these little
> blue boxes run embedded Linux, is there any way to replace the internals
> with some open firmware? I've googled a bit but can only find info about
> the WRT54GS, the big brother of the unit I've got.
>
> Any suggestions or ideas welcomed.

Open it up and see if the serial port pads are there (as found in the
wrt54g series [1] )  If so, do the serial port hack.  Connect to the
console and watch the logs for clues.

[1] http://www.dyoh.com/?q=node/view/23

Also, might it be over heating?  Try running with the lid off.  I recal
this being a problem for some users who kept their Linksys' in a
confined space.