iSCSI, twin-tailed disk, cheap-cheap fibre channel, ???

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 25 15:27:54 UTC 2006

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>>Does anyone know of a relatively inexpensive disk that can be
>>simultenously accessed (at block level) from multiple machines?
>
> How does the filesystem put up with that?  That is the one thing I have
> never figured out.

You must use a cluster aware filesystem.  OCFS2 is going into 2.6.16.
GFS and lustre are also likely to be viable options and if you like to
spend money there are always commercial options like veritas, polyserve,
etc.

> Can't you run iscsi on a simple linux PC?  I thought someone had made an
> iscsi host emulator for linux.

Probably, you can also serve NBD and AoE with a PC but I was hoping for
a standalone disk system that needed little management.