another example of the hybrid business model I called private source

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 25 15:24:51 UTC 2006

bob wrote:

>http://uk.builder.com/0,39026540,39294699,00.htm

Some business model. Get your customers to do your software development
and bug fixes for you, and charge them $50K for the privilege. The model
itself looks like it more resembles the Microsoft Shared Source program
than anything to do with open source. It's not even a business model
(since it doesn't relate to how the company earns its revenue), it's a
software development model.

And yet... this company's software is based on components such as
PostgreSQL (which is under the BSD license) and Qt (which is either
proprietary or GPL). Combine this with the non-open-source license of
the application's own software, and you potentially have a complex mix
of licenses that's certain to cause something to be breached along the way.

I see, in this article, a company and/or journalist who tosses around
the term open source freely without actually doing open source.
Exploitation and bandwagon jumping at its worst, bordering on deception:

> OpenMFG provided clients with its applications' source code, as most
> open source companies do,

"As most open source companies do"...?" Providing source code is only
one of the requirements of the description. Using BSD code and closing
it off, for instance, does not make one an "open source company". That
would apply to Apple and Microsoft, neither of which is considered
particularly FOSS friendly.

Because the application is not open source, do customers have to sign an
NDA, like those given access to Shared Source? Doing so effectively
prevents switching to another system because the client is, to use the
old AT&T legalism, "intellectually contaminated". Not doing so allows
clients to create (or participate in) other open source applications
using techniques recalled from the company's source code.

This scheme is only of _any_ value if the use of this development model
allows the software price to be substantially lower than competition. In
return for paying less, the user bears some responsibility to hire
programmers to customize and fix bugs, there are subtle legal
disincentives to switching vendors, and support expectations on the
developer are reduced.

 From the user POV, I see no user benefit in this model compared to an
open-source co-op. For a vendor it's good because you get your paying
clients to do your heavy lifting for you after the initial release.

In conclusion, I offer a snippet of a public statement, one of very few
to be endorsed by Stallman *and* Torvalds, Raymond, Wall and a bunch of
others. It talks about Shared Source but applies in general to the
so-called "private source" model:

> Microsoft's Shared Source program recognizes that there are many
> benefits to the openness, community involvement, and innovation of the
> Open Source model. But the most important component of that model, the
> one that makes all of the others work, is freedom. [...] they hope to
> get the benefits of Free Software without sharing those benefits with
> those who participate in creating them.

http://perens.com/Articles/StandTogether.html

- Evan