[tpm] Job interview question

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 18 12:54:49 UTC 2006

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Byron Sonne wrote:

> Wow, now I read back in the thread and realize someone said it better. Gah.
>
> It's totally true that if you know the trick, it's easy to exploit the
> interviewer if they're not being smart about things. But I'd submit that,
> among the people who do eventually get hired and turn out to be great
> additions, the incidence of trick-knowing would be astonishingly high :)
> Anyone who posed it as a decisive question would be foolish, it's gotta have
> context.
>
> Not that responding to your own post isn't questionable... <cough>

No problem. Even GNU chess has a 'take back step' button ;-)

The way I like to think about such questions is, that they are traps.
The trap consists in setting up a situation that would elicit a response
from which the questioner would benefit, without giving up anything. But
the goal of the answerer is to make good points. Since there is a
penalty in answering wrong, and that has a 66% probability, *not*
answering, on which there is no defined penalty is the right answer in a
first approach imho (as this has a lower chance of failure than 66%).
Once the questioner wants to go on he will have to motivate and
hopefully give some clues.

Peter