Xenophobia (was Re:jobs in Linux / IT)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 24 19:51:54 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 09:15:00PM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote:
> I remember the old days when Commodore and Atari and Apple fans fought
> over which was the best 8 bit system, when various fans fought over
> which 68K home computer was "best," and such...  Back in those days,
> we were bright but nonetheless pretty stupid kids.  "We're the best;
> the other computers SUCK!!!"

Oh the 68k question is easy: Commodore had the best hardware, Apple the
best marketing, and atari got nothing.

> Linux versus Windows fits into this in much the same way.  Yes, each
> has merits and demerits; there's a pretty hefty amount of "chip on
> shoulder" such that some of the opining is really rather juvenile.

Unfortunately to me it seems the biggest advantage windows has is
available software.  That could be changed.  It has some other features
that are more user friendly for now, although linux continutes to
improve there too.  I know which I find easier to debug when something
goes wrong.

Len Sorensen