Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 24 19:48:58 UTC 2006

Quoting Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>:

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 11:34:00PM -0500, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>> I recently purchased the Linksys WRT54G router.  I have received (thank
>> you TLUG) some advice about how to plug it into my network.  I need one
>> more piece of advice.
>>
>> In many places in the (nearly non-existent) documentation leaflet, and
>> on the device itself, I am instructed to RUN CD FIRST, before connecting
>> cables.  Here's the thing - this CD is for windoze boxen, and I am not
>> about to find a copy of windoze just to run a CD unless I absolutely
>> have to.  Here's the question:  do I really need to run the CD, or do I
>> just plug the damn thing in, plug an Ethernet cable into it, and hit its
>> IP address?  Thanks again.
>
> I can't even imagine what their CD would do.

The new Linksys routers and cards have whats called "easy secure setup"
( at least I think that is what it is called ). You install the
software on all PC's being connected to the router,then access the
configuration page for the router. On the first page for the wireless
there is the "easy secure setup" button. Click on it and the router
goes into a learning mode where is sends configuration data back to the
clients . After a few minutes the router restarts and the configuration
settings are done, and WPA enabled.

As for the fact that there is only windows software for this, and that
I have seen it fail more often than work, manual setup is in my opinion
a far better way to go.

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca