OT what is the opinion here on the NTP/RIM problem ?

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 24 14:37:59 UTC 2006

Peter wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Kihara Muriithi wrote:
>
>>   Personally, I don't think its a bad idea that RIM got in trouble.
>> Patents law are mainly supported by huge corporations and RIM is a
>> good example of such a company. They hold some patents and likely
>> lobby for patent friendly policy and I therefore don't feel pity for
>> them.
>>   I think if large corporations keep getting really screwed by the IP
>> crap, they may think twice about such lobbies. I think that is the
>> only way we can have changes

They might also think twice about bothering with buying up smaller companies
with a good product/patents and consequently not see a good idea through to a
final product. Regardless of how anyone would like things to be, ATM, capital is
a necessary part of any good product and its development, and without a large
company to throw its weight behind a product/patent, I wonder how much *less*
innovation there would be. Why bother with the trouble of making a good product
when you can bet that someday your company will be sued by wretches like NTP?

That being said, I in no way agree that this *should* be the case -- only that
it is.

> Hmm, good answer. I had not thought of that. Statistics show that the
> small inventors and companies lead in patent applications, but that they
> have a hard time making money out of them. That sort of throws a wrench
> into the works imho.
>
> Peter

Again pointing out the current need for big business and its capital to get a
really good product off the ground (and lots of mediocre ones of course!).
Granted RIM may not have been all that large in the beginning, but I'm sure that
for every successful company like RIM out there, there were 10 other companies
that failed miserably. I'm sure there was much venture capital involvedin
getting RIM up and running as well.

Jamon