image sorting in Linux

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 22 17:47:32 UTC 2006

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 12:22:35 -0500
Byron Sonne <blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I've collected a large number of images in my time on this planet - and
> not just pr0n either ;)
>
> Problem is, they came from all over the place (3.5" disks from friends,
> cameras, flatbed scanners, email, web pages, search engines, etc.) and
> consequently do not have a consistent naming scheme. So far it's over
> 25000 images, and I have no intentions of correcting them all by hand or
> script.
>
> Does there exist a relatively easy to use program that will sort the
> images by their graphical similarity and then automatically rename them?
> I'd be happy if they were named from '1.jpg' to '26382.jpg'. I'm not
> after anything complicated.

Byron,

   Suggestion...

   Both Nautilus and Konqueror are able to display files using postage stamps.  This allows you to survey a folder full of photos and see the photos.  You can cut and paste your photos without affecting the last-modified date attached to the file.  I try very hard not to modify my camera's date stamp.

   I store my new photos in directories named by date and function...

Photos/2006 Jan 22 TLUG drunken bash - blackmail

   When I burn my Photos directory to CD, I write a name on the CD, and I catalogue the CD...

$ cd PhotoDatabase
$ ls -lR /cdrom > 20060122

   My CDs are stored by the date I burned the CD.  You can name your CDs after your sister's gerbils.  As long as the file has the same name as the code you wrote on your CD, you are fine.

   Now, when I suspect I have an interesting picture, I use grep and keywords.

$ cd PhotoDatabase
$ grep -ri tlug .
$ grep -ri drunk .
$ grep -ri blackmail .

   The -r switch allows me to maintain subdirectories of interesting photos.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org