[OT] Google Earth

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 22 13:53:22 UTC 2006

Paul King wrote:

> I have been wondering what other people think of Google's recent desktop
> application, called "Google Earth" (only runs on Macs and Windoze).

I use it for work a lot. It gives a rough idea of the terrain and ground
cover for initial project siting. Being able to export and share
locations is very useful to me.

Unfortunately, the Mac version doesn't seem to like GPX files (a common
XML GPS format). It crashes on trying to load them. I much prefer the
Mac version to the PC one, though.

My company also uses Google Earth Pro for satellite imagery for GIS. It
gives a lot for the price.

There is a lot you can do with Google Maps and any browser, though (like
the entirely wonderful <http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/>). Google Earth
adds a few pretty features.

> I notice that this somewhat fails in that there are some places which have a
> duplication ...

Yes, there are at least two TTC station location data sets. One is
geocoded from published street addresses, the other (which I prepared)
is from a georeferenced TTC route map. Neither is perfect.

cheers,
  Stewart