iSCSI, twin-tailed disk, cheap-cheap fibre channel, ???

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 22 03:57:40 UTC 2006

William Park wrote:

>>More useful?  They are essential, my shared disk (SAN or not) is useless
>>without them.
>

> How is SAN different from just a file server?

Main difference is how a client system accesses the disks

* a file server serves filesystems over the network, typically using NFS
   or SMB protocol
* a SAN serves block devices, typically over fibre channel

A client system mounting SAN disks can partition up those disks and
format them however it sees fit, just like local disks effectively.

The advantage of SANs are mostly from a data management perspective
(backup, failover, redundancy, etc.).