iSCSI, twin-tailed disk, cheap-cheap fibre channel, ???

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 21 18:17:24 UTC 2006

On Saturday 21 January 2006 12:06, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of a relatively inexpensive disk that can be
> simultenously accessed (at block level) from multiple machines?
>
> I want this as a cheap way of simulating a SAN, I have SANs in the
> office but I want similar capability on the cheap for home.
>
> Ideally the solution would be a drive pack similar to the external USB
> drives you can buy these days with room for 2 HDD so that I can do
> hardware or software RAID.
>
> If the total solution was < $1K excluding disks I could swing that.
>
> Any ideas?

I don't know if this would suit your particular application, but I have used
these for clients, and they work extremely well in a Windows environment.
Supposedly they are developing drivers for Linux & Mac

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/SC101.php

Available at TigerDirect
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1647989&sku=N100-2052

One other option could be iSCSI Enterprise Target project at sourceforge
http://iscsitarget.sourceforge.net/

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca