Seaside/Squeak, Ruby

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 21 02:10:25 UTC 2006

I just saw the other thread.  =)

On 1/20/06, Yanni Chiu <yanni-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Funny, I tried the online demo of Ruby that advertised
> a 15 minute tutorial. But I only got through 3 minutes
> of it before I got tired of it - I got the feeling there
> was not going to be any "meat".
>
> Anyways, I'd be interested in a Ruby/Rails presentation
> given by an expert. I've been hoping to drop in on one
> of the TRUG meetings. Also, I'd be happy to show how you
> how Seaside development works. Many people initially react
> badly to Squeak, but with a Ruby background, the language
> should not be the issue. Rather the image-based enviroment
> is likely the impediment. (The garish default colours also
> put off many people.)

I think the problem is that the "easy demos" tend to get dumbed down
at least in the beginning because the audience that is believed
(wrongly) to enjoy them are more entry-level.

I don't know that a TRUG regular would do justice to Rails in a
presentation.  Most of us have some passing familiarity, and only a
handful have significant experience.  Rails is pretty new to most of
us.  Bring it up on the mailing list and maybe someone will step
forward.

Often we get people who go to Rails because they have some background
with developing for the web and they hear all kinds of good things
about the time and brain saving nature of Ruby and Rails.  Often we
get newish programmers who are attracted to Rails before they even
hear about Ruby.  =)

Some of us are there because of tools like Watir.  It's a wierd bunch.

Personally, seaside development would be wonderful to see.  I so
enjoyed what I had presented to me on the side that I did bunches of
research.

I even got to understand a little of the coding.. yes I see parallels
between Ruby and Squeak.  It's nice.

But honestly, has anyone stalked and physically assaulted the people
responsible for the UI choices?  I can think of a dozen changes that
if implemented would guarantee its easier use.

I can understand wrapping it all in its own gui environment (which is
totally cool).. but.. umm.. it abandons good old keyboard-only stuff..
and.. ugh, I'm at a loss for words.  I mean, get the fonts right, quit
with the bad rounded edges, yes do change the colours.. stop relying
on the mouse, get rid of the stupid circles around the interface, put
in some proper hotkey and key/mouse combinations.  I mean.. come right
on.. geeeeeze.  I want to break out my rollerball and go find a
monochrome monitor in a dumpster somewhere to go back and use it.

Gah, I mean.. ome of the oldest.. most respectable.. coolest
theories.. most child-drawing-with-a-crayon-looking.. ugh.. man.

Phew.