[OT] Open Source and my company's web application

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 20 06:44:31 UTC 2006

On 1/19/06, Sy Ali <sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> A strange thought.. if the application were completely GPLed.. but we
> were a major contributor of code and insight, I think that alone would
> really favour us for providing hosting or customization as a service.
> In this sense, our continued interest in it would tether it fairly
> close to its old home.

With focused leadership, there's no reason why your organization
shouldn't be able to guide the project along.  Every project needs a
maintainer, non?

> Again, some of this is dreaming.. we still have it in mind that it
> would require a complete rewrite from scratch at some point.  Sure it
> looks good and it works quite well.. but the real world is much more
> harsh than a developer's box.  I know there are a lot of
> creepy-crawley features waiting to be found.  =)

You've got the app.  If you give them the source, they will come.
Work with your community and provide strong leadership on project
matters...  delegate the rewrite tasks --  find ways to let the
community help you with your rewrite efforts, while building a bigger,
better product and/or service.

> I mean.. the real world would want cool things like .. skinnability,
> easy multilingualism, administrator-controlled featuresets and all
> kinds of wonderful things which aren't making us itchy right now.  =)
>
> As an aside, I think the biggest thing I'd want changed in a rewrite
> is to use postgres instead of mysql.

postgres...  people keep saying that.

Where do we sign up for 40hr days, by the way???  Lol.

--
Scott Elcomb
psema4.gotdns.com

Canada Votes 2006 - Election Talk