OT: A question for Role-Playing Gamers, Sci-Fi Addicts, and Internet Users

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 19 21:49:25 UTC 2006

On 1/19/06, Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> especially with Thunderbird 1.5! Even Outlook Express can be set to
> check messages (if office is installed of course!) before sending them.
> If you use mutt and nano for email, a simple ctrl-t will do. Email
> spelling mistakes seem just plain inexcusable. Forums, perhaps less so.

Mutt and Nano are two of my favorite tools and I use them all the
time, but haven't really learned them.  I think maybe it's about time
to.  I've never tried setting up an additional client for gmail - I
just use their interface and haven't gone looking for a spell checker
since we're planning to implement a complete business infrastructure
over the next month or two.  At that point, my primary email should be
moving to our inhouse Zimbra webmail system which includes (IIRC)
spell-checking among it's many features.

> > So here's my question - is 'net-speak developing into what used to be
> > referred to (in said games and novels) as "common" speak?
>
> Take the word podcast: I heard an interview with someone from the
> Canadian Oxford Dictionary on CBC radio a month or less ago who said
> that though the word only really appeared in late 2004, the dictionary
> would suspend its 5 year rule and induct "podcast" into the dictionary
> after just one year. Google maxes out at just over 90,000,000 hits, so
> in that respect,  I'd say that the answer to your question is a definite
> yes in a number of well known cases -- the word email being another for
> example...

Interesting...  Thanks again!

--
Scott Elcomb