Xenophobia (was Re:jobs in Linux / IT)

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 19 02:15:00 UTC 2006

On 18 Jan 2006 18:32:55 -0500, G. Matthew Rice <matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Paul Sutton <zen14920-1HOZaDBbGgxaa/9Udqfwiw at public.gmane.org> writes:
> > As I started this thread off  by asking simply about jobs in Linux, I just
> > wondered what this theread now has to do with Linux.
>
> Nothing but since no one has invoked Godwin's Law, it's fair game...
>
> This is the internet, after all.

The thing is, you can't yourself bring up the Relevant Political Party
and then claim that the thread is over ;-).

One of the troubles I expect we're seeing here is that the context
here is of a user group which does have a mix of both professionals
and hobbyists, and where some of the latter can only wish they were
the former.

I remember the old days when Commodore and Atari and Apple fans fought
over which was the best 8 bit system, when various fans fought over
which 68K home computer was "best," and such...  Back in those days,
we were bright but nonetheless pretty stupid kids.  "We're the best;
the other computers SUCK!!!"

Linux versus Windows fits into this in much the same way.  Yes, each
has merits and demerits; there's a pretty hefty amount of "chip on
shoulder" such that some of the opining is really rather juvenile.

People with such juvenile attitudes aren't likely to get jobs as
sysadmins in places where reliability is expected to include, erm,
"mental stability" or, perhaps, more fairly, having at least a modicum
of maturity.

There *are* jobs out there for "Linux professionals;" the thing about
it is that those doing hiring aren't fanatical about Linux, and aren't
after those who want to maximize cries of "Windows Sux!!!"

What the recruiters are generally after aren't really "Linux" pros so
much as "Unix professionals."
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)